Film Week July 14-20

I watched enough movies to make me feel like I have no life, and apparently I have no life. Some movies I saw were good, and others not so much.



What Lies Beneath (2000)


When looking to this movie, I expected something interesting to say the least. Giving the main roles to actors such as Harrison Ford and Michelle Pfeiffer made me believe this movie had something more to offer than the average flick. While watching this movie, I could not help but notice how the plot kept leading up to different events, yet it never had a solution for any of them. The acting was mediocre, and it was hard to tell whether an actual conflict was about to arise. I truly felt like I was wasting time when watching the movie. Truly targeted for the mainstream lovers.

★1/2- Meh


Drillbit Taylor (2008)

What happened to the Owen Wilson we used to love? What is his will all of a sudden to begin to making movies that are pointless and without meaning. While watching this movie, the line on the movie poster kept running through my head. While "You get what you pay for" might be true in some cases, this movie is worth nothing, zip, and nilch of time and money. This plot (Geeks Triumph over Jocks) has been outplayed so much, that it seems the only twist the writers could come up with is having a bodyguard played by Owen Wilson. This movie should be avoided at all costs, save money and save sanity.

★ - Bad

The Dark Knight (2008)

So much talk about this movie and so much to expect from it. Everywhere I went, people seemed to be discussing the great movie that was going to come out in theaters. This movie was great, but would it lead to the hype it had created? To start of, The movie is long, really long, but it does not change the fact that time flies by when watching it. The movie does not lead up to all the hype it earned before it came out, but it sure gets close. I was glad that Christian Bale was playing Batman once again (and not changing him for some other actor). The Joker is played by Heath Ledger and to be honest his jokes in the movie were not that funny (even though everyone in the theater seemed to laugh every time he spoke). Did Ledger's death seem to help this office-box hit? Yes it did, but it is not the only reason. To be honest, this movie was not bad at all. In fact, it was a very well directed movie. The sequel to Batman Begins not only lived up to it, it overcame it by a long shot. I feel safe to say that this is the best batman movie yet. This movie is enjoyable, but it might be hard to call it an Oscar winner. It sure remains in my thoughts though.

★★★★ - Amazing




About Schmidt (2002)

This movie was something else. I was completely surprised when seeing this movie because of how much I enjoyed it. Jack Nicholson acts incredibly as an old man learning to survive in the world without his wife. I was moved by how Schmidt tries to comfort himself through various things he does in the movie. The movie is not only him though, all the characters add a lot to the film. A movie I thought would put me to sleep turned out to be not only good but great. After watching it I felt a little more accomplished in life, and thankful to still have someone to take care of me.

★★★1/2 - Really Good

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home